Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant mattresses.
What are dust mites? Dust mites are tiny bugs that live off human skin and love humid environments. They are found in bedding, carpets, soft furnishings and clothing and are known for causing asthma and eczema.
The most common place for them to grow is in the bed, so it's strongly recommended to pay special attention in the bedroom by using allergy-proof covers on bedding and regularly washing the sheets.
However, dust mite allergen can be found in all rooms of the house, on floorings and in soft furnishings, not just in the bedroom.
We are certain you've heard that a memory foam or latex mattress is anti-allergen because dust mites can’t pass through the solid structure material. Although there is truth to that argument, we need to emphasise dust mites love for bed sheets, carpets and clothes, and not just mattresses alone.
Unfortunately, you can’t stop dust mites but you can reduce their numbers. Following the guidelines of Allergy UK to minimise the effect of dust mites allergens on your home you should:
- Vacuum carpets and floors regularly
- Vapour-vacuum hard floors
- Don’t let children with known allergies sleep on the bottom bunk bed (allergens would fall on them aggravating their condition)
- Choose home-wash cotton curtains and reduce the number of soft furnishings to dress a room
- Maintain a well-ventilated environment. Open windows and fit extract fans in bathroom and kitchen
In the bedroom
Once you have sorted the rest of the rooms, focus on your bedroom.
Starting with the bed,
- When dressing your bed, use breathable fabrics that have been tested to reduce dust mite attraction
- Wash all bedding at + 60 degrees centigrade and tumble dry it, to kill the mite.
- When buying mattresses covers, use an allergen-proof barrier on mattresses, duvets and pillows
When choosing a new mattress, we recommend:
Sealy Smart Fibres with Purotex®. Sealy is the biggest bed brand in the world for mattress innovation. They have developed the most technologically advanced and thoroughly tested beds in the market. In 2011, they presented a new range with smart fibres and Purotex® endorsed by Allergy UK. Smart Fibres guarantee a sleeping system that is cool, fresh, dry and hypoallergenic and they are a natural solution for eliminating house dust mites.
"Purotex contains probiotic friendly bacteria which keep house dust mites at bay and reduces allergens for a fresher mattress throughout. This is a major advance in bed technology from Sealy which is green and eco-friendly.
Purotex's probiotic microflora are incorporated into the fabric as micro-encapsulated inactive spores, and they are released by friction between the sleeper's body and the mattress”
To make sure you are on top of your dust mite population, keep the focus on your cleaning routine.
A thorough and regular clean of bed linen and household will reduce their numbers and their impact on your family life.
Taking care of your mattress is important too. And if time has come to get a new one, take advantage of new technology and purchase a mattress tested and proven to neutralise dust mite allergens.
Why don’t you come and see us today and let our expert team help you choose the perfect mattress for you?
We guarantee you 'll have sweet dreams!